Tuesday, April 23, 2013

9th Letter from Sanford, Maine

Hey mom,

So this week has been OK, mostly.

The stuff that has been going on in Boston didn't really affect us much here. There wasn't much that changed in our daily lives. I did hear some people talking about it on the day of the bombing and knew it had happened. We were also told that all of the missionaries who were in the Boston area were all OK  which was good because there were some missionaries who were really close to where the bombs went off.

The new ties came in the mail, I really liked them both thank you!

A little bit about Maine….. um the people here are not really that different from Georgia except they have a really funny accent. Most of the people we meet are really really nice. We don’t have many meals at members houses and so far nothing has been really strange (the moose meat taco soup was pretty much the weirdest thing and it was really good) mostly if we go out we are served soups or chili.

Something that I think is really strange is that whenever you ask someone for a phone number no one will tell you the area code! All of Maine is the same 207, so it really throws me off when they just say the last few digits…. so that's kinda weird.

Good news! We got our bikes last week on Thursday. We have started biking a lot, we bike 6 to 10 miles a day. It is really really weird to bike in a suit, it kind of sucks actually. Oh well. Sometimes we still walk; we will walk on average about 4 to 5 miles a day.

One of the craziest things that I have noticed here is that a lot of people here do not seem to brush their teeth. At all. Ever. So many people have teeth that are rotting and in really bad shape here.

Like I said most people are really nice but there have been some people that are very mean and some really reclusive people.

We study from the Book of Mormon every morning and we also study from Preach My Gospel every day. There is a set way to study that we were taught in the MTC.

I don’t think knocking on strangers doors will ever be easy, but it has gotten easier. It’s still really hard though. When we go up to the door we don’t usually have a plan - we just kinda wing it with what we feel is right (like family history or eternal families or whatever). Mostly people will look out their windows and then say “go away” or the popular phrase that most New Englanders like to use “I’m all set”

So me and my companion are really running out of things to say to each other. We are with each other 24/7.

My favorite day of the week is p day and my favorite time of day is bed time. I really like the weather right now here in Maine. It is really nice.

I am always happy to get mail. It is good to hear that the family is all good.

Mom I love you so much. I miss you. I miss everyone.

I miss our ward, tell everyone there that I miss them, that I am all good and mostly happy. That I am glad I am on a mission.

I love you, I’m going to get off now but I hope you know I love you Mom.

Love,
Elder Dean

PS. Transfers are on May 7th and then they are every 6 weeks after that.

I miss you

No comments:

Post a Comment