Fun Facts About Sanford, Maine:
- Sanford, Maine is a city in York County, Maine, US
- Sanford was purchased by Major William Phillips in 1661 from Fluellin, an Abenaki chief.
- It was first known as Phillipstown.
- The area was permanently settled in 1739.
- The town was officially incorporated in 1768. It was named in the honor of Peleg Sanford, the then governor of Rhode Island.
- It became a major textile manufacturing center after the Civil War.
- There are several parks and playgrounds at Sanford.
- The town also offers easy access to the Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge, the Wentworth State Park and the Vaughan Woods State Park.
- One can enjoy shopping at the Mid-Town Mall Shopping Center.
What a beautiful and great place for Bryson to start his mission out in!!
A few old images of Sanford, Maine
(To see some great current pictures of Sanford, Maine go HERE)