Monday, March 4, 2013

2nd Letter! (Sanford Maine)

Hi,

OK so now that I have read all of the emails I can send you the last and biggest one!

I just gave out a mormon.org card as I am sitting here writing so that’s cool! As to this week things are going good, I am still a little homesick - but it has passed and it’s not like the days have gotten any shorter either. I still feel like we are spending most of our time in meetings and not teaching people a whole lot but oh well.

This past week I found out that (my MTC companion) went home; he decided that the missionary life wasn't for him and that serving a mission was a lot harder than he had thought it would be. So he went back home last Tuesday, I think this is really sad. I noticed he was gone when we had a new missionary training meeting and I asked the mission president where he was. President told me that in the interviews with (my MTC companion) where he was trying to convince him to stay one comment (my MTC companion) made was that how much me being nice to him in the MTC had affected him. It hit me that despite all the trouble it WAS to be nice to him and how hard it was (I didn't even think he noticed that I was trying to be nice) and honestly most of the time I tried so hard to be nice to him because I knew it was the right thing to do. Point is he did notice it and it did affect him. It just amazed me because it made me realize that we are never able to tell who will be affected by our behavior or the way that we act. What if I had been mean to him? Who knows what my example will do for him later on down the road.

Moving on with the week, we only taught one investigator lesson – it was to a family of three. It was a really cool lesson because at the end of it the father of the family offered a kneeling pray and the spirit testified so strongly that we all felt it, it was really cool. After that the week was really slow. We had no other appointments. We pretty much spend ALL our time tracting, about 7 to 8 hours a day. We would go from house to house knocking on doors… just to get them slammed in our faces. It’s kind of hard to have that happen all the time - but oh well.

One really cool thing happened while we were tracting though, we knocked on a door and the husband answered it, he invited us in because he knew who and what we were, they had been to salt lake before. We ended up talking for a while, they asked all kinds of questions about us as missionaries and what we do and how we do it and it was really cool. In the end they gave us all this left over soup they had had from a party! Although they weren’t very interested in hearing our message it was still nice and here’s the cool part. I had to use the bathroom SO bad and it was like a 1 or 2 mile walk to the nearest restroom. I had been praying that someone would just let us in so I could pee and they did!!! Hallelujah!!!

I don’t need boots right now because all the snow is melting and it is warming up here, really it is… that’s what all the members say anyway. Also with friends it might be easier if you tell them to use the mission home address because there is a chance that in like two three weeks I could be moving. They are splitting my area into two areas, they are putting sister missionaries in one area and us in the other. Chances are we could be moving to a new apartment, just a heads up. Oh and the apartment will be in Wells, ME.

As an overall experience goes it is a really good one and I am enjoying it out here. It’s still hard and I know it is going to be a very long two years, but I am glad to be here. The members feed us a fair amount nowhere near as much in Georgia - we still have to cook for ourselves a quite a bit and it sucks whenever we do. I am trying to take a ton of pictures.

I hope all is well and that you are doing well and so is the family. I love you mom and I love getting your letters all the time. I LOVE YOU.

Love Elder Dean
PS. Tell Joel I said hi.

No comments:

Post a Comment